Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Diablo 3 rocks!

Or: How to loose track of time

I have played the very first Diablo with a friend connected in a network (unfortunately we didn't finish it), its successor including the add-on, once again with friends and this time finished it - multiple times - and now Diablo 3 hit the shelves. And guess what; it made me buy a new computer much earlier than actually planned - but have no fear, it wasn't a Windows PC.


I tried how it would run on my MacBook Pro using one of the Starter Edition Keys from a colleague of mine and it was actually playable. Since it was the smallest edition of the early 2011 lineup its estimated performance in the game wasn't that high. But that was one thing I could have lived with. Low graphics quality isn't the worst problem, and the difference between low and high isn't that much in this game. However, one would've need to be accustomed to air plane noise or something similar because the notebook was pumping air as if its life depended on it - which it actually did; the CPU temp hit 85°! That made me buy an iMac way before Apple announced updates. Can you imagine that all the 27" models are sold out at our local dealers?

But this is about the game, not the hardware. As said, I have played version 1 and 2 and liked them both. Each with its own feel but always true to the same facts: Hack, Slay, Loot, Skill. And Diablo 3 is no different but still feels a bit different. This is due to the way the story is told. It's much more engaging to actually consume it. There are great videos, some in a rather abstract comic style and some with very realistic graphics. I like! Just recently, I was playing with my sister talking over Skype - I don't even need a headset with the iMac, it's all built in; I like! - and we just finished the 2nd act, starting into the 3rd and found ourselves in a very realistic - as realistic as fantasy can get - scenario where we're in a big castle which is attacked by some ugly looking foe that could be a relative to Duriel. That was just pure adrenaline, fending off those ugly monsters, rushing from spot to spot while performing some deeds to strengthen the defense and raise the spirit of the helping garrison. Just like the "Omaha Beach" mission of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. War everywhere. Bullets, excuse me, fire-arrows flying everywhere. One could see the ongoing assault down below from the castle walls. Sometimes huge worm-like... things... would just crash on the edge of a wall, wreck some havoc and throw up more enemies - kind of a modern/fantasy siege tower. It was just so very intense, something Diablo 1 and 2 could not deliver. I like!

I'm very curious how this continues. I just hope that sometimes my sister's character dies when fighting bosses, not just always me being dead suddenly after beating the hell out of the boss, that dude turns around, makes a mean face and *bam*. It's like being roundhouse kicked by Chuck Norris. And very annoying: after reviving my character I can't return to the fight because a boss fight is in progress and the area can't be entered. I not like! But that's the only thing up until now.

Another thing I like about this game: It has a Mac client right from day one! Thanks Blizzard!